The following summarizes conditions under which the University of Washington allows the use of the software maintained on and downloaded from this site. Other arrangements may be possible by agreement with the University of Washington.
The University of Washington and the developers of the PANGAEA collection of software packages, including Elizabeth Thompson of the Department of Statistics, give permission for you and your Institution/Company to copy, perform, display and modify the software on the following conditions:
1) the software, including any modifications you may have made to it, remains at your Institution/Company and is not published, distributed, or otherwise transferred or made available in whole or in part, modified or unmodified, to other than Institution/Company employees and/or students;
2) you retain in the software and in any modifications to the software, the copyright, trademark, or other notices pertaining to the software as provided by University of Washington;
3) you provide the developers of the PANGAEA packages with feedback on the use of the each software package in your research, and you permit the software developers and University of Washington to use any information you provide in making changes to the software;
4) you acknowledge the right of the University of Washington to prepare and publish modifications to the software that may be substantially similar or functionally equivalent to your modifications and improvements, and if you obtain patent protection for any modification or improvement to any PANGAEA package you agree not to allege or enjoin infringement of your patent by the University of Washington or by any of the University of Washington's licensees obtaining modifications or improvements to the software from the University of Washington;
5) you acknowledge in your publications contributions to your research involving or based on the software by citing the appropriate references, as indicated in the separate software packages. See also.
6) any risk associated with using any PANGAEA software at your Institution/Company resides with you and your Institution/Company. The software is experimental in nature and is made available as a research courtesy "AS IS," without obligation by the University of Washington to provide accompanying services or support.
THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON, THE AUTHORS, AND THE FUNDING AGENCIES, EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES REGARDING THE SOFTWARE, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO WARRANTIES PERTAINING TO MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.